On December 12, 2017 I made a decision I had been debating for the past year:
I walked into a conference room on the 7th floor of a luxury New York City building and told my manager I would be leaving the company in two weeks.
This was a decision I was thinking about and debating for the past several months. I spent countless nights watching YouTube videos of people that inspired me, people that were pursuing their passions and living fulfilling lives.
I was accumulating knowledge without taking action on that knowledge.
If you asked me about meditation I could tell you all the benefits of a consistent practice, but I didn't have a consistent practice. I could tell you the top destinations in Southeast Asia without actually ever have visited.
Finally, something changed.
A defining moment happened for me when I hired Gary Vaynerchuk's personal trainer to lose weight. There were several reasons this was so pivotal.
- I added accountability into my life by making a bet with a friend. If I could get a six pack in 3.5 months he would book me a one way ticket to Kuala Lumpur.
- I learned about the power of surrounding yourself with people who inspire you. I discovered Mike Vacanti through Gary Vaynerchuk. After watching his videos, I knew that spending more time with him would make it easier for me to take action.
- I realized that investing in your happiness is the most important investment you can make. This lead me to paying $700 to take a Vedic meditation course (despite multiple people telling me it was a waste of money).
- I was successful. I lost 25 pounds and got pretty cut up. My friend booked my ticket to Kuala Lumpur and I made the plans to leave my job. Through that process I found out what worked for me and realized it could work for other people as well.
So what am I doing now?
I'm just trying shit.
After successfully losing weight and getting deeper and deeper into meditation, I was able to get out of my own head.
I'm no longer afraid of what may happen. I believe in my intuition, and want to continue to explore the things I'm passionate about- the things I thought that I couldn't do before.
- I'm currently living out of a backpack in Southeast Asia. Everything I own fits into 85 liters.
- I interview inspiring people through my podcast to learn about how to live a happier and more fulfilled life.
- I have a goal to read 50 books in 2018 and am trying to align those books with the places I'm traveling.
- I practice meditation daily because cultivating happiness is a practice and it takes work.
Marcus Aurelius famously said “he who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe”. My ambitions are no longer reserved to some far off time. I am living them now, and taking you along for the ride.